Friday, March 28, 2008

What's your favorite Guns moment?


It's been one hell of a week...Now that it's winding down we are glad everyone is beginning to see that not only is Dr Pepper's giveaway for real, but so is DP's appreciation for Axl. Having Axl and the fan's support has meant so much and we thank you. Personally, I'd like to thank you by sharing my most memorable Guns moment with you...hope you share yours too...


December 5, 2002....

An ugly tempest had moved in and the streets of New York City were tucked into a blanket of white snow. Knowing the band usually took the stage around 11, I didn't leave for Madison Square Garden until 9:45 (partially because I hate opening acts and partially because I live in midtown). I paid through the nose for a pair of second row tickets, but this was a moment I thought I'd never see again in my life...I spent most of the 90s accepting the fact that Axl was gone and may never resurface...all that was about to change. Anyway, I arrive at the Garden and it's 10:00pm sharp. Instead of hearing the crowd booing the opening act, the lights were off. Damn, show time and I'm not in my seat (as if I'd even use it). A red light was pulsing with some strange psycho-like music playing...Just as my ticket was ripped, I heard the first chord to jungle...I sprinted like a bat out of hell to my seat just as Axl reminded us all of where we were "Do you where the F$%@ you are?!?!?!"

For the next three hours every single person in that Garden was on their feet singing word for word. I was slapping high-fives with complete strangers and all of that NY snarky attitude that makes this city such a lonely place to live dissipated. No matter where we came from, what jobs we had, we were all just Guns N Roses fans, completely united by the voice of W. Axl Rose. And it was real...He was really up there singing songs about real love, real hate, real anger, real suffering, real redemption...The way Axl captures those emotions and wraps them in timeless melodies makes any time he has a mic in his hand magical. I would have waited an eternity for this moment and now it was here.

I was singing the outro to Patience with Axl "just trying to get it right"...And I'll never forget making eye contact with him during Madagascar. He saw I knew the words and just smiled. And when he was on top of the piano proclaiming "what this means to me is more than I know you believe" I knew one day the whole world appreciate and love The Blues. But like rain in November, nothing last forever. So when all was said and done, I went home and dreamt of Chinese Democracy, an album I knew I'd be listening to shortly :)

Rock on,


CK

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

My favorite GN'R moment was when they played in France in 2006. It was the first time in 13 years. Everyone was psyched. Axl told the crowd some bullshit happened earlier that day and he said he only felt better once he stepped on stage.

During one song he took the French flag someone in the crowd had thrown onstage and he wrapped it around him. This was pretty intense for every fan in the crowd who had been following the band for the past 15 years or whatever.

The show lasted for 2 hours and a half and was really amazing. Izzy took the stage for a few songs toward the end, the whole crowd was amazed. It was one of the best concerts I attended (their Dublin show in 2006 was great as well).

We all hope Chinese Democracy will be released this year!

Anonymous said...

My favorite GNR moment was at the Hammerstein Ballroom shows in 2006. Last show of the 4 part stint in NYC. I managed to schedule a business trip in the area at the same time so I could catch the show. I've seen them in concert in various forms numerous times but this show was like a once in a lifetime kind of thing.

While the whole show was amazing I think the defining moment came when Axl let loose in the middle of "Better" at the vocal solo part. It was nothing short of amazing. I was only a couple rows back and I can still see and hear it all vividly in my mind.

The whole show was fantastic though, lots of surprises like Izzy & Kid Rock, celebrity guests etc. Everyone from band to fan seemed completely energized in the small somewhat exclusive crowd. One of those experiences I'll never forget.

I can't wait to hear the final album when its out!

Anonymous said...

my fave GnR moment was in the 80's and taht was on new Years Eve when Soundgarden opened... WTF does Dr. Pepper have to do with making good music ? Answer nothing ... good luck , ill be waiting for my can with Leprechauns and Unicorns at the end of the rainbow...worst ad/post/blog on GnR ever. Move on.

W.Axl Rose Jr.

Anonymous said...

sorry I meant 90's , bklind devotion can do that...it was at then named Joe Robbie Stadium in South Florida.

Anonymous said...

Mi momento GNR será cuando saquen el maldito disco

Saludos.

Anonymous said...

Oi sou a Luana do Brasil,e pra mim o melhor momento do Guns é........
Todos,pois é uma banda que sempre está inovando....
Bjssss
Muito Guns pra vocês...

Anonymous said...

Best moments are tied - I saw them three times in 2006 in the Los Angeles area.

The first moment was when they finally came out at the KROQ Inland Invasion. The previous band (the re-formed Alice In Chains) had finished at 9 and the program said GN'R would be on "after 10", well, it was 10:50 by the time they went on. I was happy to wait - there was a near-riot of people hurling trash back and forth between the lawn and the seats - what is a true Axl Rose experience without a lot of tension and wondering if he'll actually show up?

Anyway, the lights went out, and by the time Axl screamed "DO YOU KNOW WHERE THE F*** YOU ARE?" it was like the near-riot never happened and everyone had a blast. I waited since I was 12 for that moment. It was awesome.

Fast forward two months to the trilogy of Gibson Amp shows at Universal Studios - seeing that same opening to the show from the second row and watching everyone in the band walk out in the dark was priceless. It was one of the most flawless shows I've ever seen any band perform. Night three was awesome as well.

I don't like Dr. Pepper but I'll enjoy my free one!

Fuzzy Lipton said...

My favorite GNR moment was when Slash realized Axl was a bitch and left. My second favorite moment was when Buckethead had the same realization. Two great guitarists, one bitchy singer. Great music if you ignore Axl's personal downfalls though...

Anonymous said...

I've been a fan since 1988, not long after AFD dropped. I was 14.

My favorite GNR moment (more like a few hours) was finally getting to see them perform live in Baltimore in November 2006... From the opening strains of "WTTJ" to getting to see Axl up close after the show. If I hadn't spent so long talking to Bumblefoot, I would've gotten to meet Axl, but I have no regrets -- Bumblefoot is a great guy, and I'll try to catch up with Mr. Rose next time...

Anonymous said...

I bought those tickets Gizzle..come to think of it..you still owe me $250 for your seat.

Anonymous said...

My favorite GNR moment was the entire time that GNR was THE GNR, not Axl cackling over some second rate Slash wannabes.

I've gotta agree with someone who posted before, then my second would be the moment that Slash realized Axl is a little bitch and left.

Anonymous said...

Im as old as "Appetite" so I never got to see Guns Live, but my favorite Guns moment is when I first heard them. I was probably 3 years old, and ever since then they have been my favorite band. I could listen to Appetite to The Spaghetti Incident all day every day, nobody comes close to what Guns did, is doing, and gonna do, people say its not Guns without Slash, I believe they were never the same after they kicked Steven out but they still had the passion, and if Axl still as it, this will be the best record of the 21st Century.

Anonymous said...

I just had a question. For those who have met him, how tall is Axl?

Anonymous said...

I think he's 5'8".

Anonymous said...

5' 8" ? That's not tall at all. No wonder he has a Napoleon Complex!

Anyway, watch my show on HGTV. It's the illiness, yo.

Thanks.
Grant

Anonymous said...

My favorite (or at least most memorable) GNR moment was my 18th birthday... July 2nd, 1991. The infamous riot in St. Louis.

We watched the security guards beat up fans all night long in the lawn section and bonfires were going on all night. But, when "Rocket Queen" came on, went to an instrumental and then stopped - all hell broke loose.

Crazy $hit.